Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Food


I regret to say that my life is such that I don’t have nearly as much time as I used to cook everyday.  As a result I have eaten out much more than I have ever before, and this more regular restaurant attendance has led me to reflect on the best dished and restaurants that I have had over the last say 6 months.

 1)      Capellacci alla zucca  @ Il Fornaio in Palo Alto, CA.  Cappelacci are like giant tortellini, these ones were filled with fresh butternut squash cooked in a butter sage sauce sitting in a butter sage tomato cream sauce, I had never heard of such a thing before, but I would like to hear about them again soon.  *****

 2)      Zuppa con Frutti di Mare @ Lungo Mare, Genova, Italy.  There is a picture of this dish a few months back.  Amazing sea food right out of the water onto your plate.

 3)      Fetuccine quattro formaggi  @ Glorias in Provo, UT.  I don’t know how they make that stuff, but I would pay a lot to find out, best four cheeses sauce I have ever had.  I think that I had it 4 times the last month I was in Provo.

 4)      Chef’s Table – Orem, UT.  The dish I had wasn’t amazing… it was basically a glorified cordon bleu, but everyone else’s food was terrific.  The service and restaurant itself was where I have been in a while as any nice…

 5)      Penne e Porcini – Assisi, Italy.  Porcini were great, and the view over the whole Umbrian valley was even better.  

 6)      Pizza Margerita @Sette Soldi, Napoli, Italy.  This place represents all that is good about Napoli.  It is good, cheap, friendly, and loud… and the guy who made my pizza walked out into the street to show me where I could get a good haircut.

 7)      The Red Current, Menlo Park, CA.  This is an amazing little Spanish colonial bistro tucked into a little artsy village.  Terrific food, and very cool environment ... flowers and fountains in the courtyard we ate in were beautiful.

 8)      Burrito Regular – La Hacienda, Alum Rock, CA.  Best burrito and tacos I have ever had.  They put some magic red salsa on everything that is simply amazing.  I go every Wednesday before my night class.  They don’t speak English, and the place is filthy…  maybe some of that extra grease is what makes it taste so good.

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

diegos

Adam Wilson said...

Diegos. I forgot about Diegos, but frankly the Mexican food where I work in Alum Rock is way better than Diegos.

dow said...

as a hepatitis survivor, you'll want to watch for fingers and other appendages that may show up in your tacos. love you, dad.

thegreatestshowonearth said...

adam! so, remember how we have a date coming up? i hope you have not forgotten... but while i am out there i think we should go to one of your favorite places to eat.

Evan said...

Add- When do I get the pleasure of tasting your legendary cooking. I just discovered today you had a blog, I know I live under a rock. Hope things are good for you. Happy holidays, call me. Whit and I are moving to Missouri. College is over, real life starts now. You are missed couz!

Larry and Lynda said...

I have eaten the butternut squash pasta at Il Fornaio a couple of times (the one in Walnut Creek). It is one of the best dishes I have eaten. Would love to try your recommendations in Italy some day.

mariah christine said...

having had 6/8 of these with you, i think my favorite may be the Art Alliance's Red Currant for the atmosphere + food. ok, it'll have to be tied with Assisi, but I had gnocchi there. When I get to PA, let's go to Il Fornaio as a fam. and I can't wait to add a few french restaurants to our list :)