Saturday, July 5, 2008

Pleasant Beggars

Beggars across the world have a lot in common I think; In every country and continent they seem to me to have an air of beaten down quiet desperation coupled with a persistence born of necessity sometimes mixed with a tinge of madness. As I’m writing this, I realize that most people don’t talk to a lot of beggars… I usually don’t carry on conversations with them, but as a missionary in Italy, I felt a mandate to talk to everyone, superstars, cardinals, and beggars a like. Given that there are a lot more beggars than there are cardinals I seemed to talk to a lot of them.

Today I walked out of a pharmacy and a beggar at the exit greeted me with the usual desperate beaten down tone “good morning” could you spare any change? I had run from my dorm, and had only brought my credit card, and so I told him that I didn’t have any. His response surprised me. “Oh that’s ok man, don’t worry about it man, you have a good day man, and God bless man.” I smiled and started the walk back up the hill. Walking out of the grocery store I was greeted by another beggar: “Hey could you spare any change?” I gave the same response, and the beggar responded in the same warm tone as his colleague that I had encountered earlier “Well you go and have a good day then”

These beggars treated me better than the people cashiers in the stores whose wages I was helping to pay! I wonder what makes L.A. beggars so cheery?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it's because they don't have to pay the premium to enjoy the weather...

Luther said...

I became downright chummy with one beggar in the Bronx when a missionary there; he said that being cheerful is good for business. A gloomy beggar gets more donations, but a happy one gets larger ones. He himself admitted to netting over $40K per annum after all living expenses.

He also saw his job as something of a mission of mercy; he felt that by being cheerful while appearing to suffer he was helping people not stress so much and look on the bright side. And you know, I think he was right and might have been underpaid. I saw more conversations take place between two people who had stopped to talk to him than I did between strangers there in any other setting there. That cheerful beggar was the soul of the neighborhood.